Tuesday, December 20, 2005

She turned me into a newt!

An anonymous poster asked for more photos, and included a special request:
I for one would like to see a photo of a lizard - I guess a newt would do, as long as it is a close-up and you can see the flecks of water on its translucent skin.
Since this is a reader-responsive blog, I searched far and wide, as newts are not native to Texas, but imagine my surprise when I happened to see one in the median as I was driving along the freeway. I checked my Audubon Society field guide that I always carry with me, and confirmed that it is, indeed, a newt. So enjoy. If there are any other anonymous requests for specific photos, I'll do my best to accommodate.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet photo, Phil. I'm interested in why you decided not to go with black and white in this particular instance...

Anonymous said...

Hey Phil, do you have any pics of Puerto Rican girls with wind in their hair with a lighthouse behind them? If not, just a silhouette of a pretty girl standing on a cliff at sunset will do.

Philip said...

Hmmmm...that's a tough special-order, but let me see what I can do.

Anonymous said...

two kinds of newts are native to tx.
* Notophthalmus meridionalis (Black-spotted Newt)
* Notophthalmus viridescens (Eastern Newt)

http://www.zo.utexas.edu/research/txherps/salamanders/

how the heck did you see that little thing while driving on the freeway?