Friday, August 26, 2005

Irony

So I'm actually in Saratoga Springs, New York this week, visiting a client. His wife is the daughter of the CEO and Chairman of Reader's Digest. They have a great old home, and I happen to be staying with them. Well, as often happens, I received a call from nature, and used the facilities here. Imagine my shock when I discovered that there were no copies of Reader's Digest in the bathroom. There was no reading material of any kind, in fact.

The Reader's Digest was a staple of bathroom reading as I was growing up. We used to fight over who would read the joke sections first. The occasion of the arrival of the new Reader's Digest was much heralded each month. So I thought for sure that such an atmosphere would exist in your home when your father is the CEO. I was wrong, and I think it says something about our culture. I don't know what, but something.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

just a thought, but maybe in that household that particular magazine is considered to be worth more than a rag to read while defecating...

Philip said...

Anonymous, what an astute observation. I hadn't thought of it that way before.

lupmo, I see nothing ironic in your comment. Is that the best you could do? I thought you were here to defend me. I don't need 2 antagonists. We've already got an anonymous.