Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Young Geniuses

Today marks the release date of a new album from one of the best groups in existence, Nickel Creek. Their album, Why Should the Fire Die? hit the streets after months of anticipation. It doesn't disappoint. These kids write and play some amazing music. Their debut album, released in 2000, was an instant classic, essentially creating a new genre, "New Grass". Now I never liked country growing up, and I still mostly despise the twangy, mournful steel guitar sound, but these guys are making me appreciate the mandolin and fiddle. Their second album, This Side, solidified them as the real thing. They write most of their own music and infuse it with a depth of intelligence and emotion that belies their youth.

They are not a "Christian band", although they are Christians, often performing hymns as part of their concerts. At one of their shows, the encore was "Be Thou My Vision", every verse, without amplification. Everyone pushed to the front of the room, and it took awhile for the ears to get used to the low volume, but everyone was literally holding their breath as they sang in 3 part harmony. It was more moving than any altar call I've heard at any "Christian" concert. Did I mention they're kids?

I actually heard them the first time on "Prairie Home Companion" back in 2000. I guess Garrison Keillor is good for something after all.

3 comments:

Cherie from the Queen of Free said...

Back off of Garrison! I am very excited to go see him next week @ the IN State Fair. :)

Philip said...

I'm actually a big fan of Garrison's radio show, once it gets past the monologue and his political "humor".

Cherie from the Queen of Free said...

I love his storytelling (esp tales from Lake Woebegone). I have listened to him on NPR for many years and am excited to go to a live show (the last live show I went to was Sesame Street Live).