Monday, July 25, 2005

Baltika Update

In an earlier post, my friend Erich recommended I try Baltika Beer, brewed in his favorite country, Mother Russia. He said it might be hard to find, but I checked out my favorite shop up the road, the one that has every beer I've ever looked for, and they did indeed have 4 varieties of Baltika, numbers 3, 4, 7, and 9. So I've now sampled all 4 of them. All of them had a very nice, smooth taste. My favorite was number 4, a dark beer. Even the lighter lagers had a nice flavor. I'll probably stick with the number 4 in the future, although I'm on the lookout for number 6, a nice dark porter. In the meantime, Joe 6 pack of the Beer Can Blog has inspired me to try a few more American Microbrews, and not always buy British, which I've preferred thus far.

1 comment:

Deeptones said...

I just tried the 4, and it was a very nice, smooth tasting lager that had more of the consistency of a good ale. Almost like a porter. which makes me long for the number 6. But the 9 with the higher dose of alcohol has its appeal as well. In the meantime, those of you looking for a good high-alcohol beer should drink the McEwans Scotch ale. I'm not an HTML junkie, so no hyperlinks here. You'll just have to find it yourself.