Friday, July 15, 2005

Bloglines. You should use it.

Seriously. You should use bloglines if you're not already. Bloglines is an RSS feed collector. It's very easy to configure and update. You basically create an account, then start adding the URL's of all the blogs you like to follow. Most people have RSS feeds already for their sites. You should take advantage of this powerful feature.

When I first discovered blogs, there were several I liked to read during the election season, and at least twice a day I would go down my bookmarks list and see what was new, because news came fast and furious. If I didn't keep up, it would take forever to read everything I wanted to. Bloglines eliminates that. I can just go to my bloglines page and see at a glance what has been posted since my last check. It's been a major time-saver, as well as has enabled me to keep up with friends that don't post regularly. After a couple of weeks of checking back with nothing new, you eventually stop checking back. Bloglines just lets me know. Also, bloglines is available from any browser, so no matter where I am (and I'm on several different computers throughout a day) I can keep up.

One more thing for Mac OS Tiger users out there. You can download the bloglines notifier widget that will show you on your dashboard how many new posts are on you bloglines account, so you don't even have to keep checking bloglines to see if anything new has posted.

If you need the URL, let me know.

2 comments:

Luke said...

I love bloglines... but lately I've been getting a lot of use out of the Firefox "live bookmarks." It's like having the RSS aggregator built into your browser. It's not as fast as bloglines, and it certainly isn't a candidate to replace that wonderful webapp, but it's nice to (almost) have that level of functionality built into my browser.

Great blog by the way!

Luke

p.s.: I've started posting again. :)

Philip said...

I've tried Firefox, but Safari is much quicker for me on the PowerBook. But I have to use Firefox if I want to easily format my blog posts, so I have them both open.

I haven't scratched the surface of Firefox though, and "live bookmarks" seems intriguing, so I'll give it a shot. Bloglines is so helpful for me since I'm working on various computers throughout the day though.